torstaina, kesäkuuta 13

On the death's island

"Has anyone died here?"
"Yes..."
"What was it's name?"  I loo up, the boy's question is so hilarious. Here has over thousand people who have been dying here... or rather left here to die. No one came here without planks for their own coffin. Sure they got the food from the main island and saw people during the parish's service but no one talked to them, people were afraid to even look at them. They had their own door and their own section in the church - life in separation. Food they got once a month and they had to do it by themselves, or those did who still had fingers left and who weren't that close dying. What was too much and thought as a left over was used for the only medicine they knew; alcohol.
   "There's many names..." I answer to the boy. And decide not to tell him about the mental institution in later decades. Thinking that it makes me feel that these people here with leprosy were the lucky ones even though once they came here they lost everything. It's a tough life.


 This is the place I work in. The church is the place for these lucky ones the boy was asking me about today. The people with leprosy. When I think of them I just can't see the brutality many other people see. I think they must have had amazing time on this island. Drinking, laughing and imagining... talking. Freedom from duties but yet so tied and unable to live the dreams.

Horror stories travel here. I live in an old building where some lady has hanged herself, that's the only one so far that I know but I know there's many others. I want to get to know them, or at least most of them... I love horror stories. Just love them. 

Other that horror stories and mental institution history I will tell you on some other post (sorry Eve... later :D) I've been super busy again. My last two free days I spent taking care of a half year old. She was easy and lovely one... but I still don't like babies. If it had been anyone else's daughter I would have said no. 
   Monday night I saw Nana again. She hates her job and she's going to come back to the same city with me. The thought of that makes me smile. I wish I could just give her good summer that she deserves... it's killing me because I want to talk with her more than that two hours we had. It's way too little to recap the whole year, specially with everything going on with both of us. 

Tuesday was last zumba class before the autumn again and it's killing me too. I just want to keep dancing, lucky me I can in the middle of beautiful archipelago nature... but it's not the same thing alone.

 Food wise I'm doing ok. Eating like a normal person and feeling bad about it. But for a change I haven't been totally bloated in here... there's just too good food and the down side is the institution lunch system which means that there's so few people that I can skip the lunch without people realizing. But no breakfast, then I'm actually hungry by lunch.

And then I got to say that I don't will be good friends with my island friends in here... I mean they're nice but not so close, close friend material.... more later, I'm going to bed. Just wanted to check in that I'm ok. Enjoy the nature pictures.

,,,

2 kommenttia:

Eve kirjoitti...

Okay okay, I'll be patient. :P I absolutely love the pictures and all the history. People don't appreciate it anymore, thinking it boring when really, we are all strands in the beautiful life tapestry. I always wonder what they thought and saw and felt. You have an awesome job!
Don't worry about the food. Just try to eat lots of veggies and fresh stuff and listen to your body signals, not your mental ones.
You, my dear, are beautiful. Huge hyg and don't forget I love you lots. :)

Sam Lupin kirjoitti...

your life is more exciting than a novel.
thats so cool actually. i'm so jealous. fuck. i love horror stories as well!
omg you should totally tell us the stories later. we'll waiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
im glad you're busy though. business makes you not think too much about shitty things. and i feel as if you need that. on the other hand, you don't have any time to breathe for yourself so yes, it can be annoying as well.
awwwwwwwwww. :/ sorry about Nana honey.
awwwwwww and sorry about zumba :(
*glares at you* but breakfast is-
i'm actually finding that quite ironic. if i don't eat breakfast, i actually don't get hungry until much later. however, if i do have breakfast, i'd gnaw out your hands out every five minutes and i'd rather me having breakfast. :)
speaking of breakfast, i just ate half a container of lasagne. im crying.
i love how in the end you're like 'enjoy the nature pictures' and i've been scrolling down and just going like 'bloody rocks.'
-Sam Lupin